- Today I want to write to you about the sufficiency of Christ. The Bible speaks of this in verses such as Col 2:9-10, For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. In other words in Christ you have everything you need for life now and in heaven.
- Many people feel inadequate, like they aren’t smart or good enough to feel complete in Christ. Some make the mistake of mixing man’s ideas with what the Bible teaches in the vain hope something can be added to Christ and his word.
- In 1Co 1:30 the apostle Paul says, “In Christ we have all wisdom and righteousness and sanctification and redemption.” All wisdom is based on God’s word, without contradiction. So if science teaches you something contrary to the Bible, guess which one is wrong…science! Yes God wants us to discover things based on what he has established. In the matter of creation, that is exactly what the Answers in Genesis organization is doing…using science to expound what God has done in creation. You can do that too by remembering God’s word applies to every situation you face in life and is the foundation for the practice of your faith in your behavior.
- In the matter of righteousness, as soon as you receive Christ as your Savior by faith in what he did for you on the cross, your sins are forgiven, and God sees you as he sees his Son as being in right standing before him. You are righteous not because of any good in you but because of the righteousness of Jesus, which God credits to you by faith.
- In the matter of sanctification, once the Holy Spirit comes into your life, your thoughts and behavior are being conformed into the image of Christ. The key thing for you to do is want the sufficiency of Christ, so that you yield yourself and submit to his commands. Never doubt that following Christ will completely satisfy you, he will! Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be satisfied (Mat 5:6).
- And in the matter of redemption, Christ paid the price of his death on the cross to redeem your sin debt (which would have been spiritual death in hell for you), so that you may live. That’s why Jesus said if you live and believe in him, you will never die (Joh 11:26). Your body will die, but your body is not you. Your spirit is you, and at the moment of your earthly body’s death your spirit will receive a new spiritual body that will never die.
- In 2Co 12:9 says My grace is sufficient for you. Trust in God’s grace which is his favor. He is your loving Heavenly Father who has given you all you need for life and godliness (2Pe 1:3). Whatever obstacle you face, God’s grace is sufficient to help you be victorious and courageous. Have I not commanded you be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified. Do not be discouraged. For the Lord will be with you wherever you go (Jos 1:9).
- Eph 1:3 says We have in Christ been blessed with all spiritual blessings in the heavenlies in Christ Jesus. So rejoice in the strength and blessing God provides. Just as he promised Abraham, I will bless you and make you a blessing (Gen 12:2).
- Heb 10:14 says By one offering He has perfected forever them that are His, or sanctified forever them that are His. It’s all about Christ and being found in him (Phi 3:9). Glorious is the salvation you and I have in Christ! Rest in him, and make him your all in all!