- The Bible is full of so much wisdom, and it’s a good idea to ponder what is means and how it applies to your life. One such verse is 1Ti 6:6, “But godliness with contentment is great gain…”. What makes this verse a little curious is that in v5 it says false teachers proclaim godliness as a means of gain. So how can it be great gain in truth?
- One false teaching today is that if you have faith, you will be prosperous and successful. That would be worldly gain, and it would be a poor reason to have faith. It is true that if you have faith, your way will be level and straight, meaning that the Lord will give you wisdom and strength to follow the paths he has for your life. He may or may not make you rich in material goods in the process, but he will make you rich in him!
- The key to successful living is to live by faith and be content with any and all circumstances you find yourself in, knowing that when the Lord is near, it is the way he has for you to go, and he will lead you and make you a blessing. Don’t make the mistake of looking back to your old life and wishing things were like they were before. Also don’t look at the lives of others and wish your life were like their’s.
- Psa 37:25 says this, “I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread.” In other words the Lord knows you have need of basic things. Jesus said your Father knows what you need before you ask him (Mat 6:8). Sometimes we ask for things we think we need, but we should always frame our requests to God that it would only be according to his will, for he knows what we really need.
- Now it is hard to be content when you are lonely, estranged from loved ones and friends, or when you are being persecuted by others. But that is where faith comes in. Just trust the Lord is in control. ”Do not call conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what they fear, nor be in dread” (Isa 8:12). And then in Isa 45:7 God says, “I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I the Lord, do all these things.” Friends nothing happens in this world or to you that God does not allow.
- My late wife had 3 children, and the youngest one has not had a father in her life for many years, because he was deported. When I came into their lives, I grew close to my step children and have been able to be a father to them. It is a huge blessing to this young girl especially, and a huge blessing to me.
- So look for the blessings in whatever circumstance you are in today and thank God for them. Then by walking closely with Jesus be a blessing to others. “Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act” (Psa 37:5). Faith is realizing who God is and trusting in his goodness. God is good, and he always does what is good. Nothing in your life escapes his notice, no matter how small it may be to others.