12) “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
13) Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
14) And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15) Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
16) Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from
the Spirits, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.
17) And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.”
“If it were a crime to be a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict us?”
Let us consider some characteristics of Christianity. Verse 12 do we act like God’s chosen people?
Definition: compassion – a feeling of deep sympathy for another. Heart felt empathy or caring for another.
It is so easy to get caught up in our lives that we do not notice those around us. If Jesus did not have compassion for us He would not have died
for us. We are to have compassion for those around us.
Definition: kindness – a friendly feeling towards another, liking towards another, act favorable towards another.
We all have seen or heard of a member of a community who is considered a “kind soul.” A person who would share a lunch with you if you did not have one.
We as Christians need to be the same way. Approachable.
Definition: humility – modest opinion or estimation of one’s importance.
Jesus is the only who has cause to be arrogant, because of who He is. And yet He chose to be humble, even unto death. Can we do any different?
Definition: gentleness – kindly, amiable.
Think of a tigress or lioness and her cubs. When a cub wonders off she goes and picks up the cub by the scruff of the neck without leaving a mark.
We need to be gentle to those around us, not prone to temper tantrums.
Definition: patience – an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance.
How many churches have been broken up by members not being patient with each other?
Verse 13: Forgive each other with the same quality and quantity as our Lord has forgiving us.
Peace: See what Jesus says about in John 14. If we had this peace in our lives we would be much more productive for our God.
What ever we do or say fist consider if Jesus could put His name to before we say or do a thing.
When people look at us who call ourselves Christian, do they see perfect unity?